Simon Spillett (Tenor Sax)
Pete Billington (piano)
Joe Pettitt (bass)
Simon Spillett is the kind of big toned wailing tenor player that I like. The influences of Tubby Hayes and Johnny Griffin are clearly discernible in his sound, harmonic thinking and in his direct no-nonsense determination in getting things swinging. This refreshing attitude is also in evidence in his composing. He has written a whole raft of catchy hard bop tunes which are great launching pads for the soloist and that never fall into the trap of complexity for complexity’s sake.
“A great player” – Alan Barnes.
“Those of us who have heard him…have been left blinking in disbelief. It’s not just his mastery of the tenor saxophone, phenomenal though that is, but the absolute conviction of his playing that is so impressive” – Dave Gelly, Sunday Observer.
“The world’s leading Tubbiologist” – Jack Massarik, Jazzwise.
Covid related info
1. There is new air conditioning in the room
2. There is perspex screen around the bar
3. We are restricting numbers to enable social distancing. We are doing this by having pre booked tickets only. No tickets on the door. This is so we don’t have to turn people away
4. Hand sanitisers will be available
5. We would encourage people to wear masks while moving around the club
6. Tables will be 1 metre apart
7. Please don’t come if you are feeling unwell or you have been contacted to self isolate