Josh Kemp – Tenor Sax and Bass Clarinet
Alex Hutton – Piano
Dave Mannington – Bass
Dave Storey – Drums
This a collaboration of Josh’s with pianist Alex Hutton exploring the the lyrical and spiritual music of John Coltrane, including his masterpiece – the Love Supreme suite.
Josh has released 5 CDs of original compositions, and completed several Arts Council Tours around the UK.Since winning a Ronnie Scott Scholarship to study jazz at the Guildhall, and the Daily Telegraph Young Jazz competition, together with a Philosophy degree from Oxford, Josh has established himself on the London and UK scene as a versatile and communicative soloist and bandleader. Current projects include the ‘Rare Groove’ quartet with Ross Stanley on Hammond organ (‘Outstanding’ – Jazzwise Magazine), and ‘The Coltrane Project’ – a Collaboration with pianist Alex Hutton exploring the the lyrical and spiritual music of John Coltrane, including his masterpiece – the Love Supreme suite.
Quotes about Josh
‘A mix of Getzian breeziness and Coltrane’s imploring cry.’ The Guardian
A saxophonist deeply rooted in the tradition, Josh cut his teeth playing jazz standards and the blues is always a central reference in his playing. A player with a unique sound combining a lyrical and melodic style with deeply swinging groove has made him a regular at jazz clubs and festivals around the UK, from Ronnie Scotts, to St Ives and Newcastle.
Quotes about Alex
Covid related info
1. There is new air conditioning in the room
2. There is perspex screen around the bar
3. We are restricting numbers to enable social distancing. We are doing this by having pre booked tickets only. No tickets on the door. This is so we don’t have to turn people away
4. Hand sanitisers will be available
5. We would encourage people to wear masks while moving around the club
6. Tables will be 1 metre apart
7. Please don’t come if you are feeling unwell or you have been contacted to self isolate